Saturday, April 21, 2012

Morning Cup of Coffee

Just because I'm doing low-carb, doesn't mean that I have to give up coffee. Coffee alone is carb-free; but, unless you're careful about your choice of additives, the carb count can add up quickly.  I love coffee WAY too much to do without it.  In fact, Saturday morning is my day to sleep in, and I do; but, it's the thought of enjoying that first cup of coffee that is what really pulls me out of bed. I'll lay there and read or catnap for a little while but my mind always drifts to that first cup of coffee. 

There are times when my husband will be up first and will get the coffee going.  There's something about waking to the smell of freshly brewed coffee that takes me back in time to a tiny little house on McLaughlin Avenue in Fairborn. My Grandpa Quigley built the house for Grandma when she was pregnant with my Dad. I loved staying the night with them, I'd sleep in the bed that was my Dad's and enjoyed the coziness of the house. Grandpa was in charge of the rail yard for Conrail and woke at 5am. I loved waking to the smell of percolating coffee, the aroma filled the air and mingled with the sounds of Grandma cooking breakfast. I loved helping pack Grandpa's lunch and pouring the coffee into his huge thermos. It's among my favorite childhood memories.

To this day there isn't anything I love more than the aroma of coffee floating through the house... being transported back in time to that tiny little house and the love, respect and care that my Grandparents had for one another brings joy, comfort, coziness and an overall feeling of "home."

There are a lot of conflicting reports out there about coffee and it's benefits or detriments on health. I've learned to limit myself to about 20 ounces in the morning of regular coffee. There are times in the evening when I'll enjoy a decaffeinated cup. But when I started on this low carb journey, I wasn't sure how I could still enjoy it without killing my low-carb goals.

I found balance, and like everything in life, moderation is the key. Anything in excess isn't good for you. So, I enjoy my coffee with a couple tablespoons of heavy whipping cream and sometimes a packet of Truvia or Splenda. It's controlled carbs, two to three.

But what about when you go to Starbucks? Can you control that carb count?  The answer is YES! They have a wide variety of sugar free syrups and sweeteners. They will also make ANY drink with heavy whipping cream instead of milk or half and half. I know, heavy whipping cream sounds super fattening, right? That's because it is. But when you're doing a low-carb diet, fat is your friend. (The science and research behind that will have to come in a separate post on another day.)

So, go ahead, have your favorite coffee, enjoy that Latte, just be aware of your carbs counts:
  • 1 Tablespoon of Heavy Whipping cream = 1 carb
  • 1 packet of Truvia, Stevia, Splenda, Equal, or Sweet-n-Lo = 1 carb
  • 1 pump of Sugar Free Syrup = 1 carb
Be true to yourself when measuring and building your favorite drink. These are what most of us call "hidden" carbs -- the 1 carb here, the 1/2 carb there -- when consumed in quantities, quickly add up and can kick your body out of ketosis and sabotage your goals for weight loss or controlled blood sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment, my only request as that you keep it family friendly.